- abbr. Brit. Chaplain to the Forces.
* * *nouna radioactive transuranic element; discovered by bombarding curium with alpha particles
* * *abbreviation1. calf2. \pronounced like compare also (ˈ)sē|ef sometimes kənˈfər or -fə̄\ [Latin confer, imp. of conferre to compare — more at confer] compare
* * *1. Christian female.2. Also, cf cubic foot; cubic feet.3. cystic fibrosis.
* * *abbrev1. Chaplain to the Forces2. (also cf or c and f) cost and freight
* * *cystic fibrosis http://www.macmillandictionary.com/med2cd/weblinks/cf.htmThesaurus: specific medical conditionshyponym general words for illnesses, diseases and medical conditionssynonym
* * *cf.,1. calf (of a bookbinding).2. Baseball. a) center field. b) center fielder.Cf (no period),californium (chemical element).CF (no periods),cystic fibrosis.C.F.,1. coefficient of friction.2. cost and freight.
* * *abbr.■ carried forward■ cost and freight■ cystic fibrosis
* * *abbrcompare— used to direct a reader to another idea, document, etc.
This article takes a new approach to the problems of today's inner cities. (Cf Smith's earlier article on the topic.)◇ Cf comes from the Latin conferre, which means “to compare.”
Useful english dictionary. 2012.